Friday 15 June 2012

Art and Craft Part 2


St. Peters art and craft workshop centre
Another vocational visit that I found really useful was visiting the St. Peters art and craft workshop centre(Mzuzu, Malawi). Four artists work there producing, paintings, cards and 3D wooden sculptures. The artist I met there was a sculpture called Bob. I really enjoyed sitting and listening to Bob about his daily life and techniques of sculpture. He was in the middle of making a wooden cabinet in the shape of an African wooden hut, it was a very unique piece from the sculptures I have seen so far in Africa. I asked if I could also make a miniature hut, which he showed me how to make and what tools to use. I did this for 2 hours and afterwards I gained a real appreciation for the amount of skill and effort that goes into wood carving. I was amazed because he had hardly any tools and used his feet and toes as a vise to hold the wood, which I had a go at doing too!
In Lilongwe I visited a secondary school Art department in Lilongwe called ‘Bishop Mackenzie International school. I met SangameshRajeshwar who is head of the art department. It was interesting to speak to him about the projects they do with pupils and to see some of the pupils artwork – I was very impressed!





No comments:

Post a Comment