Monday 4 June 2012

Zambian Art, stunning sunsets and amazing host families :)


The team have been so busy since arriving onto African soil – which is why this is my first blog! Our general day consists of meeting, greeting, eating, seeing, speaking, sleeping and mosi! We have been overwhelmed by the welcome we have received from Rotary clubs and people in general whilst travelling around.. Heres just a few of my highlights so far..


I met 2 artists (Monty and Charles) in Lusaka that kindly showed me around their studios and the Henry Tayali Art Gallery. I was very impressed with the gallery artwork on display, which the Director Mulenga Chafilwa showed me around. I love the vibrancy and boldness in the work.
My lovely host in Lusaka called Tito (who is originally from Swaziland) told me about her uncle Velaphi Mzinba who is an artist and lives in Soweto. This is one of his works above, it is on a wooden frame, with a painted canvas and with an actual spade attached. I like his use of mixed media and his ability to create soft brush marks to depict the shadows on the face.
All the way along from Livingstone – Lusaka – Ndola – Mufulira – Kitwe we have had stunning sunsets to finish out hectic days on. The colours are so striking, I know where the artists get their inspirations from… (Photo taken at my lovely host families house Judy and Kephas in Ndola)
The photo above is of the GSE team with Mufulira host families and Mufulira rotary club members. We were all saying bye and a big thank you to them for all their hospitality.
Top from left: Bob Nation, Modestine Kaoma (Alice host), Charles Chiponda (PP of Mufulira club), Fredrick Kaoma(Alice host), Eborny Peteli, John Sakala
Bottom from left: Kate Turner, Adele Sutton, Kaoma Kaoma (Alice host son), Alice Jones, Sebobobo Cope.
We have been looked after so well by our families, always sad to leave but making great contacts for life!

No comments:

Post a Comment